Motor Vehicles Act 1988
58. Special provisions in regard to transport vehicles.
(1) The Central Government may, having regard to the number, nature and size of the tyres attached to the wheels of a transport vehicle (other than a motor cab), and its make and model and other relevant considerations, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, in relation to each make and model of a transport vehicle, the 1[maximum gross vehicle weight] of such vehicle and the maximum safe. axle weight of each axle of such vehicle.
(2) A registering authority, when registering a transport vehicle, other than a motor cab, shall enter in the record of registration and shall also enter in the certificate of registration of the vehicle the following particulars, namely:-
(a) the unladen weight of the vehicle;
(b) the number, nature and size of the tyres attached to each wheel;
(c) the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and the registered axle weights pertaining to the several axles thereof; and
(d) if the vehicle is used or adapted to be used for the carriage of passengers solely or in addition to goods, the number of passengers for whom accommodation is provided,
and the owner of the vehicle shall have the same particulars exhibited in the prescribed manner on the vehicle.
(3) There shall not be entered in the certificate of registration of any such vehicle any gross vehicle weight or a registered axle weight of any of the axles different from that specified in the notification under sub-section (1) in relation to the make and model of such vehicle and to the number, nature and size of the tyres attached to its wheels:
Provided that where it appears to the Central Government that heavier weights than those specified in the notification under sub-section (1) may be permitted in a particular locality for vehicles of a particular type, the Central Government may, by order in the Official Gazette direct that the provisions of this sub-section shall apply with such modifications as may be specified in the order.
(5) In order that the gross vehicle weight entered in the certificate of registration of a vehicle may be revised in accordance with the provisions of subsection (3), the registering authority may require the owner of transport vehicle in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed to produce the certificate of registration within such time as may be specified by the registering authority.
1. Subs. by act 54 of 1994, sec. 18. for “maximum safe laden weight” (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).
2. Sub-section (4) omitted by Act 27 of 2000, sec. 3 (w.e.f. 11-8-2000).