Motor Vehicles Act 1988
81. Duration and renewal of permits.
(1) A permit other than a temporary permit issued under section 87 or a special permit issued under sub-section (8) of section 88 shall be effective 1[from the date of issuance or renewal thereof] for a period of five years:
Provided that where the permit is countersigned under sub-section (1) of section 88, such counter-signature shall remain effective without renewal for such period so as to synchronies with the validity of the primary permit.
(2) A permit may be renewed on an application made not less than fifteen days before the date of its expiry.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (2), the Regional Transport Authority or the State Transport Authority as the case may be, entertain an application for the renewal of a permit after the last date specified in that sub-section if it is satisfied that the applicant was prevented by good and sufficient cause from making an application within the time specified.
(4) The Regional Transport Authority or the State Transport Authority, as the case may be, may reject an application for the renewal of a permit on one or more of the following grounds, namely:-
(a) the financial condition of the applicant as evidenced by insolvency, or decrees for payment of debts remaining unsatisfied for a period of thirty days, prior to the date of consideration of the application;
(b) the applicant had been punished twice or more for any of the following offences within twelve months reckoned from fifteen days prior to the date of consideration of the application committed as a result of the operation of a stage carriage service by the applicant, namely:-
(i) plying any vehicle-
(1) without payment of tax due on such vehicle;
(2) without payment of tax during the grace period allowed for payment of such tax and then stop the plying of such vehicle;
(3) on any unauthorised route;
(ii) making unauthorised trips:
Provided that in computing the number of punishments for the purpose of clause (b), any punishment stayed by the order of an appellate authority shall not be taken into account:
Provided further that no application under this sub-section shall be rejected unless an opportunity of being heard is given to the applicant.
(5) Where a permit has been renewed under this section after the expiry of the period thereof, such renewal shall have effect from the date of such expiry irrespective of whether or not a temporary permit has been granted under clause (d) of section 87, and where a temporary permit has been granted, the fee paid in respect of such temporary permit shall be refused.
1. Subs, by Act 54 of 1994, sec. 26 for “without renewal” (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).