1. Short title, extent and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985.
(2) It extends to the whole of India 1[and it applies also-
(a) To all citizens of India outside India;
(b) To all persons on ships and aircrafts registered in India, wherever they may be]
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, be notification in the official Gazette, appoint, and different States may be appointed for different provisions of this Act and for different States and any reference in any such provision to the commencement of this Act shall be construed in relation to any State as reference to the coming into force of that provision in that State.
1. Inserted by NDPS (Amendment) Act, 2001, ww.e.f. 2-10-2001 vide SO 957 (E), dt. 27-9-2001.
2. This Act came into force on 14-11-1985; bide Notification No.S.O.821 (E), dt. 14-11-1985.