31. Enhanced punishment for certain offences after previous conviction
1[31. Enhanced punishment for certain offences after previous conviction
(1) If any person who has been convicted of the commission of, or attempt to commit, or abetment of, or criminal conspiracy to commit, any of the offences punishable under this Act is subsequently convicted of the commission of, or attempt to commit, or abetment of, or criminal conspiracy to commit, an offence punishable under this Act with the same amount of punishment shall be punished for the second and every subsequent offence with rigorous imprisonment for a term which may extend to one-half of the maximum term of imprisonment, and also be liable to fine which shall extend to one-half of the maximum amount of fine
(2) Where the person referred to in sub-section (1) is liable to be punished with a minimum term of imprisonment and to a minimum amount of fine, the minimum punishment for such person shall be one-half of the minimum term of imprisonment and one-half of the minimum amount of fine: Provided that the court may, for reasons to be recorded in the judgment, impose a fine exceeding the fine for which a person is liable
(3) Where any person is convicted by a competent court of criminal jurisdiction outside India under any corresponding law, such person, in respect of such conviction, shall be dealt with for the purposes of sub-sections (1) and (2) as if he had been convicted by a court in India.]
1. Substituted by NDPS (Amendment) Act, 2001, w.e.f. 2-10-2001 vode SO 957 (E), dt. 27-9-2001.