1. Short title extent commencement and application
(1) This Act may be called the Payment of Wages Act 1936.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may by notification in the Official Gazette appoint.
(4) It applies in the first instance to the payment of wages to persons employed in any factory to persons employed (otherwise than in a factory) upon any railway by a railway administration or either directly or through a sub-contractor by a person fulfilling a contract with a railway administration and to persons employed in an industrial or other establishment specified in sub-clauses (a) to (g) of clause (ii) of section 2.
(5) The State Government may after giving three months’ notice of its intention of so doing by notification in the Official Gazette extend the provisions of this Act or any of them to the payment of wages to any class of persons employed in any establishment of class of establishments specified by the Central Government or a State Government under sub-clause (h) of clause (ii) of section 2 :
Provided that in relation to any such establishment owned by the Central Government no such notification shall be issued except with the concurrence of that government.
(6) Nothing in this Act shall apply to wages payable in respect of a wage-period which over such wage-period average one thousand six hundred rupees a month or more.