The Prize Chits and Money Circulation Schemes (Banning) Act,1978
Section 12. Transitional provisions
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this act, a person conducting a prize chit or money circulation scheme at the commencement of this act may continue to conduct such s chit or scheme for such period as may be necessary for the winding up of the business relating to such chit or scheme, so however that such period shall not in any case extend beyond a period of two years from such commencement:
Provided that the said person shall furnish to the state Government or to such officer as may be authorised by it in this behalf and to such office of the Reserve Bank as may be prescribed in such form and within such period as may be prescribed, full information regarding the chit or scheme along with a winding up plan prepared in accordance with the provisions of any rules that may be made by the state government in this behalf under this act:
Provided further that if the state government is satisfied, on an application made by the person conducting the prize chit or money circulation scheme, the that chit or scheme cannot be wound up within the period fixed in the winding up plan furnished to the state Government under the foregoing provisos, it may, in consultation with the Reserve Bank, permit such person to continue to conduct the business relating to the said chit or scheme for such further period as may be considered necessary having regard to the circumstances of the case and the interests of the members of the said chit or scheme.
(2) The State Government may, in consultation with the Reserve Bank, approve the winding up plan furnished under sub-section (1) with to without modifications or reject the same and may grant or refuse to grant permission to continue to conduct that chit or scheme;
Provided that no such winding up plan shall be modified or rejected without giving an opportunity of being heard to the person who conducts such prized chit or money circulation scheme.
(3) If any person fails to furnish full information regarding the said chit or scheme along with its winding up plain in the form and within the period prescribed, he shall forfeit his right to continue the business relating to the said chit or scheme on the expiry of such period.
(4) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in any agreement or arrangement entered into between, any person conducting any such chit or scheme and the subscriber, the person conducting the chit or scheme shall, within such period as may be prescribed refund the monies or he subscriptions collected till the date of default referred to in sub-section (3).
(5) If any person fails to comply with the provisions of sub-section (4), he shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine which may extend to three thousand rupees, or with both:
Provided that in the absence of special and adequate reasons to the contrary to be mentioned in the judgement of the court, the imprisonment shall not be less than one year and the fine shall not be less than one thousand rupees.