The Protection of Civil Rights Act,1955
(Act No. 22 of 1955)
[8th May 1955]
An Act to prescribe punishment for the 1[preaching and practice of “Untouchability” ] for the enforcement of any disability arising there form and for matters connected therewith.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Sixth Year of the Republic of India as follows:
1. Subs. by Act No. 106 of 1976, for, “practice of Untouchability” .
Section 1. Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called 1[the Protection of Civil Rights Act,] 1955.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. Subs. by Act No. 106 of 1976 for “The Untouchability (Offences) Act” .
2. 1st June,1955.