Public Debt Act,1944
Section 1. Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Public Debt 1[**] Act,1944.
(3) It shall come into force on such 3date as the Central Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, appoint in this behalf.
1. The words and brackets “(Central Government)” were omitted by the Public Debt (Cenrtral Government) Amendment Act,1949 (6 of 1949), S. 3 (1-4-1949).
2. Sub-section (2) was omitted by the Public Debt (Amendment) Act,1956 (57 of 1956), S. 3(15-10-1956).
3. The Act came into force on 1-5-1946, see Notfn. F.I. (1) B/46, D/- 20-4-1946, Gaz. of Ind.,1946, Pt. I, p. 575.
1[1A. Securities to which this Act applies.
This Act applies to Government securities created and issued whether before or after the commencement of this Act by the Central Government or a State Government 2[* ********]
1 Inserted by the Public Debt (Amendment) Act,1956 (57 of 1956), Section 4 (15-10-1956). By S. 15 of this Amendment Act the following enactments are, subject to a saving clause, repealed, namely, (1) the-Madhya Bharat Public Debt Act,1953; (2) the Mysore Public Debt Act,1953; (3) the Saurashtra Public Debt Act,1953; and (4) the Travancore-Cochin Public Debt Act,1954.
2. Words “other than the Government of Jammu and Kashmir” omitted by the Public Debt (Amendment) Act,1972 (44 of 1972), S. 2 (w.r.e.f. 1-9-1972).