The Prevention of Food Adulteration Act,1954
[Act No. 37 of 1954]
[29th September 1954]
An Act to make provision for the prevention of adulteration of food
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifth Year of the Republic, of India as follow:
Section 1. Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act,1954.
(2) It extends to the whole of India 1[* * *]
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, appoint.
1. The words “except the State of Jammu and Kashmir” omitted by the Act 41 of 197 1. Sec. 2 (w.e.f. 26tb January,1972).
2. lst June,1955; see notification No. S.R.O. 1085, dated 9th May 1955, Gazette of India, Pt. 11 Sec. 3, P. 874. The Act has been extended to Dadra and Nagar Haveli by Reg. 6 of 1963, Sec. 2 and Sch.1, to Pondicherry by Reg, 7 of 1963, Sec. 3 and Sch. 1, to Goa, Daman and Diu by Reg. 11 of 1963, Sec, 3 and Schedule and to Kohima and Mokokchung district in Nagaland by Act 24 of 1972, Sec. 2 (w.e. f. 1st April. 1973).