The Protection of Human Rights Act,1993
Section 3. Constitution of a National Human Rights Commission
(1) The Central Government shall constitute a body to be known State of Jammu and Kashmir, shall in relation to that State, be conferred upon, and to perform the functions assigned to, it under this act.
(2) The Commission shall consist of.
(a) A Chairperson who has been a Chief Justice of the Supreme Court;
(b) One Member who is, or has been, a Judge of the Supreme Court;
(c) One Member who is, or has been, the Chief Justice of a High Court;
(d) Two members to be appointed from amongst persons having knowledge of, or practical experience in, matters relating to human rights.
(3) The Chairperson of the National Commission for Minorities, 1[the National Commission for the Scheduled Castes, the National Commission for the Scheduled Tribes] and the National Commission for Women shall be deemed to be Members of the Commission for the discharge of functions specified in clauses (b) to (j) of Section 12.
(4) There shall be a Secretary- General who shall be the Chief- Executive Officer of the Commission and shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions of the Commission 2[(except judicial functions and the power to make regulations under Section 40-B) as may be delegated to him by the Commission or the Chairperson, as the case may be].
(5) The Headquarters of the Commission shall be at the Delhi and the Commission may, with the previous approval of the Central Government, establish offices at other places in India.
1. Subs. by Act No. 43 of 2006 w.e.f. 13-9-2006.
2. The Words “as it may delegate to him” Subs. by Act No. 43 of 2006 w.e.f. 13-9-2006.