Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Rights Act,2001
Section 41. Rights of communities
(1) Any person or group of persons (whether actively engaged in farming or not) or any governmental or non-governmental organisation may, on behalf of any village or local community in India, file in any center notified, with the previous approval of the Central Government, by the Authority. in the Official Gazette, any claim attributable to the contribution of the people of that village or local community, as the case may be, in the evolution of any variety for the purpose of staking a claim on behalf of such village or local community.
(2) Where any claim is made under sub-section (1), the center notified under that sub-section may verify the claim made by such person or group of person or such governmental or non-governmental organisation in such manner as it deems fit, and if it is satLsrscu that such village or local community has contributed significantly to the evolution the variety which has been registered under this Act, it shall report its findings to the Authority.
(3) When the Authority, on a report under sub-section (2) is satisfied, after such inquiry as it may deem fit, that the variety with which the report is related has been registered under the provisions of this Act, it may issue notice in the prescribed manner to the breeder of that variety and after providing opportunity to such breeder to file objection in the prescribed manner and of being heard, it may subject to any limit notified by the Central Government, by order, grant such sum of compensation to be paid to a person or group of persons or governmental or non-governmental organisation which has made claim under sub-section (1), as it may deem fit.
(4) Any compensation granted under sub-section (3) shall be deposited by the breeder of the variety in the Gene Fund.
(5) The compensation granted under sub-section (3) shall be deemed to be an arrear of land revenue and shall be recoverable by the Authority accordingly.