The Press and Registration of Books Act,1867
Section 18. Registration of memoranda of books
There shall be kept at such office, and by such officer as the State Government shall appoint in this behalf, a book to be called a Catalogue of Books printed in 1[India], wherein shall be registered a memorandum of every book which shall have been delivered 2[pursuant to clause (a) of the first paragraph of section 9] of this Act. Such memorandum shall (so far as may be practicable) contain the following particulars (that is to say): –
(1) The title of the book and the contents of the title page, with a translation into English of such title and contents, when the same are not in the English language;
(2) The language in which the book in written;
(3) The name of the author, translator, or editor of the book or any part thereof,
(4) The subject;
(5) The place of printing and the place of publication;
(6) The name or firm of the printer and the name or firm of the publisher;
(7) The date of issue from the press or of the publication;
(8) The number of sheet leaves or pages;
(9) The size;
(10) The first, second or other number of the edition;
(11) The number of copies of which the edition consists;
(12) Whether the book is printed, 3[cyclostyled or lithographed];
(13) The price at which the book is sold to the public; and
(14) The name and residence of the proprietor of the copyright or of any portion of such copyright.
Such memorandum shall be made and registered in the case of each book as soon as practicable after the delivery of the 4[copy there of pursuant to clause (a) of the first paragraph of section 91 5[* * *]
1. Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, sec. 3 and Sch., for “the States” .
2. Subs. by Act IO of 1890, sec. 6, for “pursuant to section 9” .
3. Subs. by Act 55 of 1955, sec. 15, for “or lithographed” (w.e.f. 1-7-1956).
4. Subs. by Act IO of 1890, sec. 6, for “copies thereof in manner aforesaid” .
5. Last sentence of sec. 18 rep. by Act 3 of 1914, sec. 15 and Sch. 11.