The Prison Act,1894
[ACT NO.9 OF 1894]1
An Act to amend the law relating to prisons.
WHEREAS it is expedient to amend the law relating to prisons in 2[India except the territories which, immediately before the 1st November,1956, were comprised in Part B States], and to provide rules for the regulation of such prison ; It is hereby enacted as follows :—
1.Amendment in its application to
(1) The Province of Madras by —
(i) The Prisons and Indian Lunacy (Madras Amendment) Act,1938 (Mad. Act 14 of 1938)
(ii) The Prisons (Madras Amendment) Act,1940 (Mad.Act 5 of 1940)
(iii) The Prisons (Madras Amendment) Act,1947 (Mad.Act 18of 1947); ad
(iv) The Prisons (Madras Amendment) No.II Act,1947 (Mad.Act 19 of 1947)
(2) The Punjab by s.2 of the Prisons (Punjab Amendment) Act,1926 (Punjab Act 9 of 1926)
(3) Rep.in Part (in West Bengal ) by West Bengal Act 7 of 1948.
2. Subs. by the Adaptation of Laws (No.2) Order,1956 for “Part A States and Part C States”.
Section 1. Title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Prisons Act,1894
1[(2) It extends to the whole of India except 2[the territories which, immediately before the 1st November,1956, were comprised in Part B States];] and
(3) It shall come into force on the first day of July,1894.
(4) Nothing in this Act shall apply to civil jails in the 3[State] of Bombay 4[as it existed immediately before the 1st November,1956] outside the city of Bombay, and those jails shall continue to be administered under the provisions of sections 9 and 16 (both inclusive) of Bombay Act 2 of 1874, as amended by subsequent enactment.
1. Subs. by the A.O.1950.
2. Subs. by the Adaptation of Laws (N0.2) Order,1956 for “Part B States”.
3. Subs. by the A.O.1950 for “province” which was sub by the A.O.1948 for “presidency”
4. The Civil Jails Act,1874.