The Prison Act,1894
Section 27. Separation of prisoners
The requisitions of this Act with respect to the separation of prisoners are as follows :–
(1) In a prison containing female as well as male prisoners, the females shall be imprisoned in separate buildings, or separate parts of the same building, in such manner as to prevent their seeing, or conversing or holding any intercourse with, the male prisoners.
(2) In a prison where male prisoners under the age of 1[twenty-one] are confined, means shall be provided for separation them altogether from the other prisoners and for spearing those of them who have arrived at the age of puberty from those who have not :
(3) Unconverted criminal prisoners shall be kept apart from convicted criminal prisoners ; and
(4) Civil prisoners shall be kept apart from criminal prisoners.
1. Subs by Act of 1930, s.2 for “eighteen”.