The Prison Act,1894
Section 47. Plurality of punishment, under section 46
1[(1)] Any two of the punishments enumerated in the last foregoing section may be awarded for any such offence in combination, subject to he following exceptions, namely :–
(1) Formal warning shall not be combined with any the punishment except loss of privileges under clause (4) of that section ;
(2) Penal diet shall not be combined with change of labour under clause (2) of that section, nor shall any additional period of penal diet awarded singly be combined with any period of penal diet awarded in combination with 2[cellular] confinement ;
3[(3) Cellular confinement shall not be combined with separate confinement, so as to prolong the total period of seclusion to which the prisoner shall be liable;]
(4) Whipping shall not be combined with any the form of punishment except cellar 4[and] separate confinement and loss of privileges admissible under the remission system ;
5[(5) No punishment will been combined with any other punishment in contravention of rules made by the 6[State Government].]
7[(2) No punishment shall be awarded for any such offence so as to combine, with the punishment awarded for any other such offence, two of the punishments which may not be awarded in combination for any such offence.]
1. The original s.47 as was renumbered s.47 (1) by s.3 ibid.
2. Subs. by s.3, ibid., for “solitary”.
3. Subs. by s.3, ibid., for the original exception (3).
4. Subs. by Act 10 of 1914, s.2 and Sch.I, for “or”.
5. Ins. by Act 17 of 1925, s.3.
6. Subs. by the A.O.1937, for “G.G.in C.”
7. Ins. by Act 17 of 1925, s.3.