During the British regime some of them who were holding high position in the governance of the Indian Dominion were found to be acting as autocrat. Their behavior as public servants became a cause of concern for the Government. In order to have a check on their behavior various legislative measures were taken but they were found to be inadequate. In order to have stringent measure Bill was introduced in the Legislature.
Act 37 OF 1850
The Bill having been passed by the Legislature was assented on the 1st November, 1850. By Act 1of 1897 its nomenclature was changed as THE PUBLIC SERVANTS (INQUIRES) ACT, 1850 (37 of 1850).
LIST OF AMENDING ACTS AND ADAPTATION ORDERS
1. The Repealing Act, 1870 (14 of 1870).
2. The Repealing Act, 1876 (12 of 1876).
3. The Public Servants (Inquires) Act (1850) Amendment Act, 1897 (1 of 1897).
4. The Repealing and Amending Act, 1914(10 of 1914)
5. The Government of India (Adaptation of India Laws) Order, 1937.
6. The Indian Independence (Adaptation of Central Acts and Ordinances) Order, 1948
7. The Adaptation of Laws Order, 1950.