The Protection Of Women From Domestic Violence Act, 2005
1. Short title, extent and commencement.—
(1) This Act may be called the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.
(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
(3) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
This section provides for the short title, extent and commencement of Act. The Act extends to the whole of India except to the State of Jammu and Kashmir in the area of protection of women who are victims of violence of any kind occurring within the family. As adequate steps have to be taken for administering the provisions of this Act, provision has been made empowering the Central Government to appoint the date of commencement of the Act, by notification in the Official Gazette.
[Notes on Clauses]
1. Came into force on 26-10-2006, vide S.O. 1776(E), dated 17th October, 2006, published in the Gazette of India, Extra., Pt. II, Sec. 3(ii), dated 17th October, 2006.