The Registration of Births and Deaths Act,1969
Section 7. Registrars
(1) The State Government may appoint a Registrar for each local area.Comprising the area within the jurisdiction of a municipality, panchayat or other local authority or any other area or a combination of any two or more of them;
Provided that the State Government may appoint in the case of a municipality, panchayat or other local authority, any officer or other employee thereof as a Registrar.
(2) Every Register shall, without fee or reward.Enter in the register maintained for the purpose all information given to him under section 3 or section 9 and shall also take steps to inform himself carefully of every birth and of every death which takes place in his jurisdiction and to ascertain and register the particulars required to be registered.
(3) Every Register shall have an office in the local area for which he is appointed.
(4) Every Registrar shall attend his office for the purpose of registering births and deaths on such days and at such hours as the Chief Registrar may direct and shall cause to be placed in some conspicuous place on or near the outer door of the office of the Registrar a board bearing, in the local language, his name with the addition of Registrar of Births and Deaths for the local area for which he is appointed, and the days and hours of his attendance.
(5) The Registrar may, with the prior approval of the Chief Register, appoint Sub-Registrars and assign to them any or all of his powers and duties in relation to specified areas within his jurisdiction.