Reserve Bank of India Act,1934
Section 58 G. Power of bank to impose fine
1[Power of bank to impose fine. (1) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 58B, if the contravention or default of the nature referred to in section 58B is committed by a non-banking financial company, the bank may impose on such non-banking financial company-
(a) A penalty not exceeding five thousand rupees; or
(b) Where the contravention or default is under sub-section (4A) or clause (a) or clause (aa) of sub-section (5) of section 58B, a penalty of five lakh rupees or twice the amount involved in such contravention or default, where the amount is quantifiable, whichever is more; and where such contravention or default is a continuing one, further penalty which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees for every day, after the first, during which the contravention or default continues.
(2) For the purpose of imposing penalty under sub-section (1), the bank shall serve a notice on the non-banking financial company requiring it to show cause why the amount specified in the notice should not be imposed as a penalty and a reasonable opportunity of being heard shall also be given to such non-banking financial company.
(3) Any penalty imposed by the bank under this section shall be payable within a period of thirty days from the date on which notice issued by the bank demanding payment of the sum is served on the non-banking financial company and, in the event of failure of the non-banking financial company to pay the sum within such period, may be levied on a direction made by the principal civil court having jurisdiction in the area where the registered office or the head office of the non-banking financial company is situated :
PROVIDED that no such direction shall be made, except on an application made by an officer of the bank authorised in this behalf, to by the principal civil court.
(4) The court, which makes a direction under sub-section (3), shall issue a certificate specifying the sum payable by the non-banking financial company and every such certificate shall be enforceable in the same manner as if it were a decree made by the court in a civil suit.
(5) Non complaint shall be filed against any non-banking financial company in any court of law pertaining to any contravention or default in respect of which the bank under this section has imposed any penalty.
(6) Where any complaint has been filed against a non-banking financial company in a court in respect of contravention or default of the nature referred to in section 58B, no proceedings for imposition of penalty against that non-banking financial company shall be taken under this section.]
1. Inserted by Act No. 1 of 1984, w.e.f. 15/2/1984.