Rajiv Gandhi University Act,2006
Section 1. Short title and commencement
Rajiv Gandhi University Act,20061
[No. 8 OF 2007]
An Act to establish and incorporate a teaching and affiliating University in the State of Arunachal Pradesh and to provide for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifty-seventh Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
Prefatory Note-Statement of Objects and Reasons.-The Rajiv Gandhi University was established by the Rajiv Gandhi University Act,1984 enacted by the Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly, but the Government of Arunachal Pradesh, with its limited resources, is not in a position to provide adequate funding for development of the University. Besides, existence of a number of central universities in other states of the North-Eastern Region, with their better infrastructure and academic facilities, tends to create huge imbalances in the educational facilities within the region with far-reaching consequences.
2. It is, therefore, felt expedient to convert the Rajiv Gandhi University into a central university to ensure its accelerated development and to minimize the imbalance in the educational facilities available in the North-Eastern Region.
3. The Bill seeks to achieve the above objectives.
1. Received the assent of the President on January 10,2007 and published in the Gazette of India, Extra., Part II, Section 1, dated 11th January,2007, pp. 1-32, No. 8
(1) This Act may be called the Rajiv Gandhi University Act,2006.
(2) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.