The Representation of the People Act,1951
Section 129. Officers, etc., at elections not to act for candidates or to influence voting
(1) No person who is 1[a district election officer or a returning officer], or an assistant returning officer, or a presiding or polling officer at all election, or all officer or clerk appointed by the returning officer for the presiding officer to perform any duty in connection with all election shall in the conduct or the management of the election do any act (other than the giving of vote) for the furtherance of the prospects of the election of a candidate.
(2) No such person as aforesaid, and no member of a police force, shall endeavour-
(a) To persuide any person to give his vote it all election, or
(b) To dissuade any person from giving his vote it all election, or
(c) To influence the voting of any person at all election in any manner.
(3) Any person who contravenes the provisions of subsection (1) or subsection (2) shall be punishable with imprisonment, which may extend to six months or with title or with both.
2[(4) An offence punishable under subsection (3) shall be cognizable.]
1. Subs. by Act 47 or 1966, sec. 55, for “a returning officer” (w.e.f. 14-12-1966).
2. Ins. by Act 47 of 1966 sec. S5 (w.c.1. 14-12-1966).