The Representation of the People Act,1951
Section 134. Breaches of official duty in connection with elections
(1) If any person to whom this section applies is without reasonable cause guilty of any act or omission in breach of his official duty, he shall be punishable with fine, which may extend to five hundred rupees.
1[(IA) An offence punishable under sub-section (1) shall be cognizable.]
(2) No suit or other legal proceedings shall lie against any such person for damages in respect of any such act or omission as aforesaid.
(3) The persons to whom this section applies are the 2[***] 3[district election officers, returning officers], assistant returning officers, presiding officers, polling officers and any other person appointed to perform any duty in connection with 4[***] the receipt of nominations of with drawl of candidatures, or the recording or counting of votes at an election- and the expression “official duty” shall for the purposes of this section be construed accordingly, but shall not include duties imposed otherwise than by or under this Act 2[***].
1. Ins. by Act 47 of 1966, sec. 58, (w.e.f. 14-12-1966).
2. Certain words omitted by Act 58 of 1958, sec. 37.
3. Subs. by Act 47 of 1966, sec. 58, for “returning officers” (w.e.f. 14-12-1966).
4. The words ” the preparation of an electoral roll” omitted by Act 59 of 1958, sec. 37.