The Representation of the People Act,1951
Section 15. Notification for general election to a State Legislative Assembly
(1) A general election shall be held for the purpose of constituting a new Legislative Assembly on the expiration of the duration of the existing Assembly or on its dissolution.
(2) For the said purpose, 1[the Governor or Administrator, as the case may be], 2[* * *] shall by one or more notifications published in the Official Gazette of the State on such date or dales may be recommended by the Election Commission, call upon all Assembly constituencies in the State to elect members in accordance with the provisions of this Act and of the rules and order made thereunder:
Provided that where a general election is held otherwise than on the dissolution of the existing Legislative Assembly, no such notification shall be issued at any time earlier than six months prior to the date on which the duration of that Assembly would expire under the provisions of clause (I) of article 171 2[***] 3[or under the provisions of section 5 of the Government of Union Territories Act,1963 (20 of 1963), as the case may be.]
1. Subs. by Act 20 of 1963, sec. 57 and the Second Schedule for “the Governor” .
2. Certain words omitted by the Adaptation of Laws (No. 2) Order,1956.
3. Ins. by Act 20 of 1963, sec. 57 and the Second Schedule.