The Representation of the People Act,1951
Section 154. Term of office of members of the Council of States
1[(1) Subject to the Provisions of subsections (2) and (2A), the term of office of a member of Council of States, other that member chosen to fill a casual vacancy, shall be six years.]
(2) 2[* * *] Upon the first constitution of the Council of states the President shall, after constitution with the Election Commission, make by order such provision as he thinks fit for curtailing the term of office of some of the members then chosen in order that, as nearly as may be, one-third of the members holding seats of each class shall retire in every second year thereafter.
3[(2A) In order that, as nearly as may be, one-third of the members may retire on the second day of April,1958, and on the expiration of every second year thereafter , the President shall, as soon as may be after the commencement of the Constitution (seventh Amendment) Act,1956 after consultation with the Election Commission make by order such provisions as he thinks fit in regard to the terms of office of the members elected under sub-section (2) of section 147.]
(3) A members chosen to fill a casual vacancy shall be chosen to serve for the remainder of his predecessors term of office.
1. Subs. by the Adaptation of Laws (No. 2) Order,1956, for sub-section (1).
2. Certain words omitted by the Adaptation of Laws (No. 2) Order,1956.
3. Ins. by the Adaptation of Laws (No. 2) Order,1956