The Representation of the People Act,1951
Section 22. Assistant returning officers
(1) The Election Commission may appoint one or more persons to assist any returning officer in the performance of his functions:
Provided that every such person shall be 1[an officer of Government or of a local authority]
(2) Every assistant returning officer shall, subject to the control of the returning officer, be competent to perform all or any of the functions of the returning officer-.
Provided that no assistant returning officer shall perform any of the functions of the returning officer which relate 3[***] to the scrutiny of nominations 2[***] unless the returning officer is unavoidably prevented from performing the said function
1. Subs. by Act 47 of 1966, sec. 24, for “an officer of Government” .
2. Certain words omitted by Act 27 of 1956, sec. 10.
3. The words “or to the counting of votes” omitted by Act 27 of 1956, sec. 10.