The Representation of the People Act,1951
Section 79. Definitions
In this Part and in 1[Part VIII unless the context otherwise requires, –
2[(a) Any reference to a High Court or to the Chief Justice or Judge of a High Court shall, in rotation to a Union territory having a Court of the Judicial Commissioner, be construed as a reference to the said Court of the Judicial Commissioner or to the Judicial Commissioner or any Additional Judicial Commissioner, as the case may be;]
3[(b) “Candidate” means a person who has been or claims to have been duly nominated as a candidate at any election;]
(c) “Costs” means all costs, charges and expenses of, or incidental to, a trial of an election petition;
(d) “Electoral right” means the right of a person to stand or not to stand as, or 4[to withdraw or not to withdraw] from being, a candidate, or to vote or refrain from voting at all election;
5[(e) “High Court” means the High Court within the local limits of whose jurisdiction the election to which the election petition relates has been held; ]
(f) “Returned candidate” means a candidate whose name has been published under section 67 as duly elected.
1. Subs. by Act 47 of 1966, sec. 37, for “Parts VII and VIII” .
2. Ins. by Act 47 of 1966, sec. 37, original clause (a) was omitted by Act 27 of 1956, sec. 43.
3. Subs. by Act 40 of 1975, sec. 7 for clause (b) (retrospectively).
4. Subs. by Act 47 of 1966, sec. 37, for “to withdraw” (w.e.f. 14-12-1966).
5. Subs. By Act 47 of 1966, sec. 37 for claluse (e) (w.e.f. 14-12-1966)