The State Bank of India Act,1955
Section 31. Meetings of the Central Board
1[(1) The Central Board shall meet at such time and place and shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings as may be prescribed; and the meeting of the Central Board may be held by participation of the directors of the Central Board through videoconferencing or such other electronic means, as may be prescribed, which are capable of recording and recognising the participation of the directors and the proceedings of such meetings are capable of being recorded and stored:
Provided that the Central Government may in consultation with the Reserve Bank, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify the matters which shall not be discussed in a meeting of the Central Board held through videoconferencing or such other electronic means.
(2) All questions at the meeting shall be decided by a majority of the votes of the directors present in the meeting or through videoconferencing or such other electronic means and in the case of equality of votes the chairman or, in his absence, the managing director authorised by the chairman shall have a second or casting vote.]
(3) A director who is directly or indirectly concerned or interested in any contract, loan, arrangement or proposal entered into or proposed to be entered into by or on behalf of the State Bank shall at the earliest possible opportunity disclose the nature of his interest to the Central Board and shall not be present at any meeting of the Central Board when any such contract, loan, arrangement or proposal is discussed unless his presence is required by the other directors for the purpose of eliciting information, and no director so required to be present shall vote on any such contract, loan, arrangement or proposal.
(4) If for any reason neither the chairman nor the 2[managing director authorised by the chairman] is able to be present at a meeting of the Central Board, any director, other than a managing director, authorised by the chairman in writing in this behalf, and in the absence of such authorisation, any such director elected by the directors present from amongst themselves, shall preside at the meeting and, in the event of equality of votes, shall have a second or casting vote.
1. Subs. by Act 27 of 2010 w.e.f. 24-8-2010.
2. Subs. by Act 27 of 2010 w.e.f. 24-8-2010.