The State Bank of India Act,1955
Section 5. Issued capital
(1) The issued capital of the State Bank shall, on the appointed day, be five crores, sixty-two lakhs and fifty thousand rupees divided into five lakhs, sixty-two thousand and five hundred shares, all of which shall, on the appointed day, stand allotted to the Reserve Bank in lieu of the shares of the Imperial Bank transferred to it by paragraph 2 of the First Schedule.
1[2(2) The issued capital of the State Bank shall consist of equity shares or equity and preference shares:
Provided that the issue of preference shares shall be in accordance with the guidelines framed by the Reserve Bank specifying the class of preference shares, the extent of issue of each class of such preference shares (whether perpetual or irredeemable or redeemable) and the terms and conditions subject to which, each class of preference shares may be issued:
Provided further that the Central Board may from time to time increase, with the previous approval of the Reserve Bank and the Central Government, whether by public issue or rights issue or preferential allotment or private placement, in accordance with the procedure as may be prescribed, the issued capital by the issue of equity or preference shares:
Provided also that the Central Government shall, at all times, hold not less than fifty-one per cent of the issued capital consisting of equity shares of the State Bank.]
(3) No increase in the issued capital beyond twelve crores and fifty lakhs of rupees shall be made under sub-section (2) without the previous sanction of the Central Government.
3[(4) Subject to the provisions contained in sub-section (2), the Central Board may increase from time to time, by way of issuing bonus shares to existing equity shareholders, the issued capital in such manner as the Central Government may, after consultation with the Reserve Bank, direct.
(5) The State Bank may, accept the money in respect of shares issued towards increase in the issued capital in instalments, make calls, forfeit unpaid shares and re-issue them, in such manner as may be prescribed.]
1. The Words “Reserve Bank” Subs. by Act No. 32 of 2007 w.e.f. 3-9-2007
2. Subs. by Act 27 of 2010 w.e.f. 24-8-2010.
3. Ins. by Act 27 of 2010 w.e.f. 24-8-2010.