The Sick Industrial Companies Act,1985
18. PREPARATION AND SANCTION OF SCHEMES.
(1) Where an order is made under sub-section (3) of section 17 in relation to any sick industrial company, the operating agency specified in the order shall prepare, as expeditiously as possible and ordinarily within a period of ninety days from the date of such order, a scheme with respect to such company providing for any one or more of the following measures, namely :-
(a) the financial reconstruction of the sick industrialcompany;
(b) the proper management of the sick industrial company by change in or take over of, management of the sick industrial company;
(c) the amalgamation of –
(i) the sick industrial company with any other company, or
(ii) any other company with the sick industrial company (hereafter in this section, in the case of sub-clause (i), the other company, and in the case of sub-clause (ii), the sick industrial company, referred to as ‘transferee company’);
(d) the sale or lease of a part or whole of any industrial undertaking of the sick industrial company;
(da) the rationalisation of managerial personnel, supervisory staff and workmen in accordance with law;
(e) such other preventive, ameliorative and remedial measures as may be appropriate;
(f) such incidental, consequential or supplemental measures as may be necessary or expedient in connection with or for the purposes of the measures specified in clauses (a) to (e).
(2) The scheme referred to in sub-section (1) may provide for any one or more of the following, namely –
(a) the constitution, name and registered office, the capital, assets, powers, rights, interests, authorities and privileges, duties and obligations of the sick industrial company or, as the case may be, of the transferee company;
(b) the transfer to the transferee company of thebusiness, properties, assets and liabilities of the sick industrial company on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the scheme;
(c) any change in the Board of Directors, or the appointment of new Board of Directors, of the sick industrial company and the authority by whom, the manner in which and the other terms and conditions on which, such change or appointment shall be made and in the case of appointment of a new Board of Directors or of any director, the period for which such appointment shall be made;
(d) the alteration of the memorandum or articles of association of the sick industrial company or, as the case may be, of the transferee company for the purpose of altering the capital structure thereof, or for such other purposes as may be necessary to give effect to the reconstruction or amalgamation;
(e) the continuation by, or against, the sick industrial company or, as the case may be, the transferee company of any action or other legal proceeding, pending against the sick industrial company immediately before the date of the order made under sub-section (3) of section 17;
(f) the reduction of the interest or rights which the shareholders have in the sick industrial company to such extent as the Board considers necessary in the interests of the reconstruction, revival or rehabilitation of the sick industrial company or for the maintenance of the business of the sick industrial company;
(g) the allotment to the shareholders of the sick industrial company, of shares in the sick industrial company or, as the case may be, in the transferee company and where any shareholder claims payment in cash and not allotment of shares, or where it is not possible to allot shares to any shareholder the payment of cash to those shareholders in full satisfaction of their claims –
(i) in respect of their interest in shares in the sick industrial company before its reconstruction or amalgamation; or
such interest has been reduced under clause (f) in respect of their interest in shares as so reduced;
(h) any other terms and conditions for the reconstruction or amalgamation of the sick industrial company;
(i) sale of the industrial undertaking of the sick industrial company free from all encumbrances and all liabilities of the company or other such encumbrances and liabilities as may be specified to any person, including a co-operative society formed by the employees of suchundertaking and fixing of reserve price for such sale;
(j) lease of the industrial undertaking of the sick industrial company to any person including a co-operative society formed by the employees of such undertaking;
(k) method of sale of the assets of the industrial undertaking of the sick industrial company such as by public auction or by inviting tenders or in any other manner as may be specified and for the manner of publicity therefore;
(l) transfer or issue of the shares in the sick industrial company at the face value or at the intrinsic value which may be at discount value or such other value as may be specified to any industrial company or any person including the executives and employees of the sick industrialcompany;
(m) such incidental, consequential and supplemental matters as may be necessary to secure that the reconstruction or amalgamation or other measures mentioned in the scheme are fully and effectively carried out.
(3)(a) The scheme prepared by the operating agency shall be examined by the Board and a copy of the scheme with modification, if any, made by the Board shall be sent, in draft to the sick industrial company and the operating agency and in the case of amalgamation, also to any other company concerned, and the Board shall publish or cause to be published the draft scheme in brief in such daily newspapers as the Board may consider necessary, for suggestions and objections, if any, within such period as the Board may specify;
(b) The Board may make such modifications, if any, in the draft scheme as it may consider necessary in the light of the suggestions and objections received from the sick industrial company and the operating agency and also from the transferee company and any other company concerned in the amalgamation and from any shareholder or any creditors or employees of such companies:
Provided that where the scheme relates to amalgamation the said scheme shall be laid before the company other than the sick industrial company in the generalmeeting for the approval of the scheme by its shareholders and no such scheme shall be proceeded with unless it has been approved, with or without modification, by a special resolution passed by the shareholders of the company other than the sick industrial company.
(4) The scheme shall thereafter be sanctioned, as soon as may be, by the Board (hereinafter referred to as the ‘sanctioned scheme’) and shall come into force on such date as the Board may specify in this behalf :
Provided that different dates may be specified for different provisions of the scheme.
(5) The Board may on the recommendations of the operating agency or otherwise, review any sanctioned scheme and make such modifications as it may deem fit or may by order in writing direct any operating agency specified in the order, having regard to such guidelines as may be specified in the order, to prepare a fresh scheme providing for such measures as the operating agency may consider necessary.
(6) When a fresh scheme is prepared under sub-section (5) the provisions of sub-sections (3) and (4) shall apply in relation thereto as they apply to in relation to a scheme prepared under sub-section (1).
(6A) Where a sanctioned scheme provides for the transfer of any property or liability of the sick industrial company in favour of any other company or person or where such scheme provides for the transfer of any property or liability of a
ny other company or person in favour of the sick industrial company, then, by virtue of, and to the extent provided in, the scheme, on and from the date of coming into operation of the sanctioned scheme or any provision thereof, the property shall be transferred to, and vest in, and the liability shall become the liability of, such other company or person or, as the case may be, thesick industrial company;
(7) The sanction accorded by the Board under sub-section (4) shall be conclusive evidence that all the requirements of this scheme relating to the reconstruction or amalgamation, or any other measure specified therein have been complied with and a copy of the sanctioned scheme certified in writing by an officer of the Board to be a true copy thereof, shall, in all legal proceedings (whether in appeal or otherwise) be admitted as evidence.
(8) On and from the date of the coming into operation of the sanctioned scheme or any provision thereof, the scheme or such provision shall be binding on the sick industrial company and the transferee company, or as the case may be, the other company and also on the shareholders, creditors and guarantors and employees of the said companies.
(9) If any difficulty arises in giving effect to the provisions of the sanctioned scheme, the Board may, on the recommendation of the operating agency or otherwise, by order do anything, not inconsistent with such provisions, which appears to it to be necessary or expedient for the purpose of removing the difficulty.
(10) The Board may, if it deems necessary or expedient so to do, by order in writing, direct any operating agency specified in the order to implement a sanctioned scheme with such terms and conditions and in relation to such sick industrial company as may be specified in the order.
(11) Where the whole of the undertaking of the sick industrial company is sold under a sanctioned scheme, the Board may distribute the sale proceeds to the parties entitled thereto in accordance with the provisions of section 529A and other provisions of the Companies Act,1956 (1 of 1956).
(12) The Board may monitor periodically the implementation of the sanctioned scheme.