The States Reorganisation Act,1956
Section 34. Bombay Legislative Council
(1) As from such date1 as the President may by order appoint, there shall be a Legislative Council for the new State of Bombay.
(2) Until the said Council has been reconstituted in accordance with the provisions of sub-sections (4) and (5) of this section and summoned to meet for the first time, the said Council shall consist of-
(a) All the sitting members of the Legislative Council of the existing State of Bombay, except those representing the Belgaum (Local Authorities), Bijapur (Local Authorities) and Dharwar (Local Authorities) constituencies; and
(b) 25 members to represent the territories specified in clauses (b), (c), (d) and (e) of sub-section (1) of section 8 who shall be chosen in such manner as may be prescribed.
(3) After such reconstitution as aforesaid, there shall be 72 seats in the said Council of which-
(a) The numbers to be filled by persons elected by the electorates referred to in sub-clauses (a), (b) and (c) of clause (3) of article 171 shall be 24, 6 and 6 respectively;
(b) The number to be filled by persons elected by the members of the Legislative
Assembly in accordance with the provisions of sub-clause (d) of the said clause shall be 24; and
(c) The number to be filled by persons nominated by the Governor in accordance with the
Provisions of sub-clause (e) of that clause shall be 12.
(4) As soon as may be after the commencement of this Act, the President, after consultation with the Election Commission, shall by order determine-
(a) The constituencies into which the said new State shall be divided for the purpose of elections to the Council under each of the sub-clauses (a), (b) and (c) of clause (3) of article 171;
(b) The extent of each constituency; and
(c) The number of seats allotted to each constituency.
(5) As soon as may be after the appointed day, steps shall be taken to constitute the said Council in accordance with the provisions of this section and the provisions of the Representation of the People Act,1950 (43 of 1950) and the Representation of the People Act,1951 (43 of 1951):
Provided that the election referred to in clause (b) of sub-section (3) shall be held only after the general election to the Legislative Assembly of the new State of Bombay has been held.
1. 1st September,1956, vide Notification No.S.R.O.2104, dated 17-9-1956, Gazette of India, Pt.II, Sec.3, P.1590.