The Sikkim University Act,2006
Section 1. Short title and commencement
The Sikkim University Act,20061
[NO. 10 OF 2007]
An Act to establish and incorporate a teaching and affiliating University in the State of Sikkim and to provide for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifty-seventh Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
Prefatory Note-Statement of Objects and Reasons.-As at present, there is no University in Sikkim and the colleges of the State are affiliated to the North Bengal University of West Bengal. These are mostly degree colleges and are following the courses and syllabi designed by the North Bengal University, which do not meet the specific requirements of the State of Sikkim. Due to lack of post-graduate courses in Sikkim, majority of the students do not get opportunity to pursue higher studies and the State Government of Sikkim, with its limited resources, is not in a position to provide adequate funding for the establishment and running of a university of its own. Besides, existence of a number of central universities in other states of the North Eastern Region tends to create huge imbalances in the educational facilities within the region with far-reaching consequences.
2. It is, therefore, felt expedient to establish a central university in Sikkim to cater to the educational needs of the people of the State and to minimize the imbalance in the educational facilities available in the North Eastern Region by setting up a central university in Sikkim.
3. The Bill seeks to achieve the above objectives.
1. Received the assent of the President on January 10,2007 and published in the Gazette of India, Extra., Part II, Section 1, dated 1lth January,2007, pp. 1-30, No. 10
(1) This Act may be called the Sikkim University Act,2006.
(2) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.