The Sikkim University Act,2006
Schedule 2. The Vice-Chancellor
(See Section 29)
(1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor from a panel of not less than three persons who shall be recommended by a Committee as constituted under clause (2):
Provided that if the Visitor does not approve of any of the persons included in the panel, he may call for an extended fresh panel.
(2) The Committee referred to in clause
(1) shall consist of three persons, out of whom two shall be nominated by the Executive Council and one by the Visitor and the nominee of the Visitor shall be the convener of the Committee :
Provided that none of the members of the Committee shall be an employee of the University or an Institution maintained by, or admitted to the privileges of, the University or a member of any authority of the University.
(3) The Vice-Chancellor shall be a whole-time salaried officer of the University.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a term of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office, or until he attains the age of sixty-five years, whichever is earlier, and he shall not be eligible for re- appointment :
Provided that notwithstanding the expiry of the said period of five years, he shall continue in office until his successor is appointed and enters upon his office :
Provided further that the Visitor may direct any Vice-Chancellor after his term has expired, to continue in office for such period, not exceeding a total period of one year, as may be specified by him.
(5) The emoluments and other conditions of service of the Vice-Chancellor shall be as follows:-
(i) The Vice-Chancellor shall be paid a monthly salary and allowances, other than house rent allowance, at the rates fixed by the Central Government from time to time and he shall be entitled, without payment of rent, to use a furnished residence throughout his term of office and no charge shall fall on the Vice-Chancellor in respect of the maintenance of such residence.
(ii) The Vice-Chancellor shall be entitled to such terminal benefits and allowances as may be fixed by the Central Government from time to time :
Provided that where an employee of the University, or a College or an Institution maintained by, or admitted to the privileges of, the University, or of any other University or any College or Institution maintained by or admitted to the privileges of, such other University, is appointed as the Vice-Chancellor, he may be allowed to continue to contribute to any provident fund of which he is a member and the University shall contribute to the account of such person in that provident fund at the same rate at which the person had been contributing immediately before his appointment as the Vice-Chancellor :
Provided further that where such employee had been member of any pension scheme, the University shall make the necessary contribution to such scheme,
(iii) The Vice-Chancellor shall be entitled to traveling allowance at such rates as may be fixed by the Executive Council.
(iv) The Vice-Chancellor shall be entitled to leave on full pay at the rate of thirty days in a calendar year and the leave shall be credited to his account in advance in two half-yearly installments of fifteen days each on the first day of January and July every year :
Provided that if the Vice-Chancellor assumes or relinquishes charge of the office of the Vice-Chancellor during the currency of a half year, the leave shall be credited proportionately at the rate of two and-a-half days for each completed month of service.
(v) In addition to the leave referred to in sub-clause (iv), the Vice-Chancellor shall also be entitled to half-pay leave at the rate of twenty days for each completed y
ear of service, and half-pa y leave may also be availed of as commuted leave on full pay on medical certificate :
Provided that when such commuted leave is availed of, twice the amount of half-pay leave shall be debited against half-pay leave due.
(6) If the office of the Vice-Chancellor becomes vacant due to death, resignation or otherwise, or if he is unable to perform his duties due to ill-health or any other cause, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall perform the duties of the Vice-Chancellor:
Provided that if the Pro-Vice-Chancellor is not available, the senior-most Professor shall perform the duties of the Vice-Chancellor until a new Vice-Chancellor assumes office or the existing Vice-Chancellor resumes the duties of his office, as the case may be.