The Sikkim University Act,2006
Schedule 29. Maintenance of discipline among students of the University
(See Section 29)
(1) All powers relating to the maintenance of discipline and disciplinary action in relation to the students of the University shall vest in the Vice-Chancellor.
(2) There shall be a Proctor of the University to assist the Vice-Chancellor in the exercise of the powers referred to in clause (1), who shall be appointed by the Executive Council from amongst the Professors and Readers in the manner prescribed by the Ordinances.
(3) The Vice-Chancellor may delegate all or any of the powers referred to in clause (1), as he deems proper, to the Proctor and to such other officers as he may specify in this behalf.
(4) Without prejudice to the generality of his powers relating to the maintenance of discipline and taking such action, as may seem to him appropriate for the maintenance of discipline, the Vice-Chancellor may, in exercise of such powers, by order, direct that any student or students be expelled or rusticated, for a specified period, or be not admitted to a course or courses of study in a College, Institution or Department or a School of the University for a stated period, or be punished with fine for an amount to be specified in the order, or be debarred from taking an examination or examinations conducted by the University, College, Institution or Department or a School for one or more years, or that the results of the student or students concerned in the examination or examinations in which he or they have appeared (sic to) be cancelled.
(5) The Principals of Colleges, Institutions, Deans of Schools of Studies and Heads of teaching Departments in the University shall have the authority to exercise all such disciplinary powers over the students in their respective Colleges, Institutions, Schools and teaching Departments in the University, as may be necessary for the proper conduct of such Colleges, Institutions, Schools and teaching Departments.
(6) Without prejudice to the powers of the Vice-Chancellor and the Principal and other persons specified in clause (5), detailed rules of discipline and proper conduct shall be made by the University. The Principals of Colleges, Institutions, Deans of Schools of Studies and Heads of teaching Departments in the University may also make such supplementary rules as they deem necessary for the purposes stated therein.
(7) At the time of admission, every student shall be required to sign a declaration to the effect that he submits himself to the disciplinary jurisdiction of the Vice-Chancellor and other authorities of the University.