The Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act,1985
Section 14. Verification, stamping and custody of secondary or working standards
(1) Every secondary or working standard referred to in Sec. 13, shall conform to the standards established by or under the Standards Act and shall be verified-
(a) In the case of a secondary standard, at any one of the places where reference standards are maintained, against the appropriate reference standard:
(b) in the case of a working standard, at any one of the places where secondary standards are maintained, against the appropriate secondary standard,
In such manner and at such periodical intervals as may be specified by or under the Standards Act and shall, if found on such verification to conform to the standards established by or under that Act, be stamped.
(2) Where any secondary standard or working standard is stamped under sub-section (1), a certificate shall be separately issued showing the date on which such weight or measure was stamped.
(3) Every verification and stamping referred to in sub-section (1) shall be made by such person or authority as may be specified by or under the Standards Act.
(4) A secondary standard or working standard which is not verified and stamped in accordance with the provisions of sub-sections (1) and (3) shall not be deemed to be a secondary standard or working standard, as the case may be, and shall not be used for the verification of any working standard or, as the case may be, for the verification of any weight or measure.
(5) Every verified secondary standard and every verified working standard shall be kept at such place and in such custody as may be prescribed.