The Tezpur University Act,1993
Section 12. The Vice” chancellor
(1) The vice- chancellor shall be appointed by the visitor in such manner as may be prescribed by the statutes.
(2) The vice- chancellor shall be the principal executive and academic officer of the university and shall exercise general supervision and control over the affairs of the university and give effect to the decisions of all the authorities of the university ;
(3) The vice- chancellor may, if he is of opinion that immediate action is necessary on any matter , exercise any power conferred on any authority of the university by or under this Act and shall report to such authority the action taken by him on such matter; Provided that if the authority concerned is of opinion that such action ought not to have been taken ,it may refer the matter to the visitor whose decision thereon shall be final;
Provided further that any person in the service of the university who is aggrieved by the action taken by the vice- chancellor under this sub-section shall have the right to appeal against such action to the board of management within three months from the date on which decision on such action is communicated to him and thereupon the board of Management may confirm, modify or reverse the action taken by the vice- chancellor.
(4) The vice-chancellor , if he is of the opinion that any decision of any authority of the university is beyond the powers of the authority conferred by the provisions of this Act, the statutes or the ordinances or that any decision taken is not in the interest of the university , may ask the authority concerned to review its decision within sixty days of such decision and if the authority refuses to review the decision either in whole or in part or no decision is taken by it within the said period of sixty -days , the matter shall be referred to the visitor whose decision thereon shall be final.
(5) The vice-chancellor shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the statutes or the ordinances.