The Transplantation of Human Organs Act,1994
Section 9. Restrictions on removal and transplantation of human organs
(1) Save as otherwise provided in sub-section (3), no human organ removed from the body of a donor before his death shall be transplanted into a recipient unless the donor is a near relative of the recipient.
(2) Where any donor authorities the removal, of any of his human organs after his death under sub-section (2) of Section 3 or any person competent or empowered to give authority for the removal of any human, organ from the body of any: deceased person authorizes such removal, the human organ may be removed and transplanted into the body of any recipient who may be in need of such human organ.
(3) If any donor authorizes the removal of any of his human organs before his death under sub-section (1) of Section 3 of transplantation into the body of such recipient, not being a near relative, as is specified by the donor by reason of affection or attachment towards the recipient or for any other special reasons, such human organ shall not be removed and transplanted without the prior approval of the Authorisation Committee.
(a) The Central Government shall constitute, by notification, one or more Authorisation Committee consisting of such members as may be nominated by the Central Government on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the notification for each of the Union territories for the purposes, of this section.
(b) The State Government shall constitute, by notification, one or more Authorisation Committees consisting of such members as may be nominated by the State Government on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the notification for the purposes of this section.
(5) On an application jointly made, in such form and in such manner as may be prescribed, by the donor and the recipient, the Authorisation Committee shall, after holding an inquiry and after satisfying itself that the applicants have compiled with all the requirements of this Act and the rules made thereunder, grant to the applicants approval for the removal and transplantation of the human organ,
(6) If, after the inquiry and after giving an opportunity to the applicants of being heard, the Authorisation Committee is satisfied that the applicants have not complied with the requirements of this Act and the rules made thereunder, it shall, for reasons to be recorded in writing, reject the application for approval,