12. Member-secretary and officers and other employees of Board.—
(1) The terms and conditions of service of the member-secretary shall be such as may be prescribed.
(2) The member-secretary shall exercise such powers and perform such duties as may be prescribed or as may, from time to time, be delegated to him by the Board or its chairman.
(3) Subject to such rules as may be made by the Central Government or, as the case may be, the State Government in this behalf, a Board may appoint such officers and employees as it considers necessary for the efficient performance of its functions 1[***].
2[(3A) The method of recruitment and the terms and conditions of service (including the scales of pay) of the officers (other than the member-secretary) and other employees of the Central Board or a State Board shall be such as may be determined by regulations made by the Central Board or, as the case may be, by the State Board:
Provided that no regulation made under this sub-section shall take effect unless,—
(a) in the case of a regulation made by the Central Board, it is approved by the Central Government; and
(b) in the case of a regulation made by a State Board, it is approved by the State Government.]
3[(3B) The Board may, by general or special order, and subject to such conditions and limitations, if any, as may be specified in the order, delegate to any officer of the Board such of its powers and functions under this Act as it may deem necessary.]
(4) Subject to such conditions as may be prescribed, a Board may from time to time appoint any qualified person to be a consulting engineer to the Board and pay him such salaries and allowances and subject him to such other terms and conditions of service as it thinks fit.
1. Certain words omitted by Act 44 of 1978, sec. 8.
2. Ins. by Act 44 of 1978, sec. 8.
3. Ins. by Act 53 of 1988, sec. 6 (w.e.f. 29-9-1988).