16. Functions of Central Board.—
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the main function of the Central Board shall be to promote cleanliness of streams and wells in different areas of the States.
(2) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing function, the Central Board may perform all or any of the following functions, namely:—
(a) advise the Central Government on any matter concerning the prevention and control of water pollution;
(b) co-ordinate the activities of the State Boards and resolve disputes among them;
(c) provide technical assistance and guidance to the State Boards, carry out and sponsor investigations and research relating to problems of water pollution and prevention, control or abatement of water pollution;
(d) plan and organise the training of persons engaged or to be engaged in programmes for the prevention, control or abatement of water pollution on such terms and conditions as the Central Board may specify;
(e) organise through mass media a comprehensive programme regarding the prevention and control of water pollution;
1[(ee) perform such of the functions of any State Board as may be specified in an order made under sub-section (2) of section 18;]
(f) collect, compile and publish technical and statistical data relating to water pollution and the measures devised for its effective prevention and control and prepare manuals, codes or guides relating to treatment and disposal of sewage and trade effluents and disseminate information connected therewith;
(g) lay down, modify or annul, in consultation with the State Government concerned, the standards for a stream or well:
Provided that different standards may be laid down for the same stream or well or for different streams or wells, having regard to the quality of water, flow characteristics of the stream or well and the nature of the use of the water in such stream or well or streams or wells;
(h) plan and cause to be executed a nation-wide programme for the prevention, control or abatement of water pollution;
(i) perform such other functions as may be prescribed.
(3) The Board may establish or recognize a laboratory or laboratories to enable the Board to perform its functions under this section efficiently, including the analysis of samples of water from any stream or well or of samples of any sewage or trade effluents.
Main functions of the Central Board shall be to promote cleanliness of streams and wells in different areas of the States. It may perform all or any of the functions mentioned in clauses (a) to (i) of sub-section (2), and it may establish or recognise a laboratory or laboratories for the purpose mentioned in sub-section (3).
1. Ins. by Act 53 of 1988, sec. 8 (w.e.f. 29-9-1988).