18BA. Power of Commissioner to grant immunity from penalty. —
1[18BA. Power of Commissioner to grant immunity from penalty. —(1) A person may make an application to the Commissioner for granting immunity from penalty, if—
(a) he has made an application for settlement under section 22C and the proceedings for settlement have abated under section 22HA; and
(b) the penalty proceedings have been initiated under this Act.
(2) The application to the Commissioner under sub-section (1) shall not be made after the imposition of penalty after abatement.
(3) The Commissioner may, subject to such conditions as he may think fit to impose, grant to the person immunity from the imposition of any penalty under this Act, if he is satisfied that the person has, after the abatement, co-operated with the wealth-tax authority in the proceedings before him and has made a full and true disclosure of his net wealth and the manner in which such net wealth has been derived.
(4) The immunity granted to a person under sub-section (3) shall stand withdrawn, if such person fails to comply with any condition subject to which the immunity was granted and thereupon the provisions of this Act shall apply as if such immunity had not been granted.
(5) The immunity granted to a person under sub-section (3) may, at any time, be withdrawn by the Commissioner, if he is satisfied that such person had, in the course of any proceedings, after abatement, concealed any particulars, material to the assessment, from the wealth-tax authority or had given false evidence, and, thereupon such person shall become liable to the imposition of any penalty under this Act to which such person would have been liable, had not such immunity been granted.]
1. Ins. by the Finance Act, 2008 , sec. 63 (w.r.e.f. 1-4-2008).