27A. Appeal to High Court.—
1[27A. Appeal to High Court.—(1) The assessee or the Chief Commissioner or Commissioner may within one hundred twenty days of the day upon which he is served with notice of an order under section 24 or section 26 or clause (e) of sub-section (1) of section 35, file on or after the 1st day of October, 1998 2[but before the date of establishment of the National Tax Tribunal] appeal before the High Court.]
(2) An appeal shall lie to the High Court 3[before the date of establishment the National Tax Tribunal] from every order passed in appeal by the Appellate Tribunal, under sub-section (1) of section 24 only if the High Court is satisfied that the case involves a substantial question of law.
(3) In an appeal under this section, the Memorandum of Appeal shall precisely state the substantial question of law involved in the appeal 4[***].]
(4) Where the High Court is satisfied that a substantial question of law is involved in any case, it shall formulate that question.
(5) The appeal shall be heard only on the question so formulated and the respondent shall, at the time of hearing of the appeal, be allowed to argue that the case does not involve such question:
Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall be deemed to take away or abridge the power of the Court to hear, for reasons to be recorded, the appeal on any other substantial question of law not formulated by it, if it is satisfied that the case involves such question.
(6) The High Court shall decide the question of law so formulated and deliver such judgment thereon containing the grounds on which such decision is founded and may award such cost as it deems fit.
(7) The Assessing Officer shall give effect to the order of the High Court on the basis of a certified copy of judgment delivered under sub-section (6).]
5[(8) The Provisions of the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908) relating to appeals to High Court shall, so far as may be, apply in the case of appeals under this section.]
1. Ins. by Act 21 of 1998, sec. 72 (w.e.f. 1-10-1998).
2. Ins. by Act 49 of 2005, sec. 30 and Sch., Pt. II-3(i) (w.e.f. 28-12-2005).
3. Ins. by Act 49 of 2005, sec. 30 and Sch., Pt. II-3(ii) (w.e.f. 28-12-2005).
4. Certain words omitted by Act 27 of 1999, sec. 96(a) (w.e.f. 1-6-1999).
5. Ins. by Act 27 of 1999, sec. 96(b) (w.e.f. 1-6-1999).