Laws and Bare Acts of India at

MyNation Foundation Online Law Library

Section 31 – WORKS OF DEFENCE ACT, 1903



Section 31. Payment of compensation, or deposit of same in Court


(1) On making an award under section 2 , the Collector shall tender payment of the compensation awarded by him .to the persons interested entitled thereto ac-cording to the award, and shall pay it to them unless prevented by some one or more of the contingencies mentioned in sub-section (2).


(2) If they do not consent to receive it, or if there is no person competent to alienate the land, of if there is ‘any dispute as to the title to receive the compensation or as to the apportionment of it, the Collector shall deposit the amount of the compensation in the Court to which a reference under section 8 would be submitted:


Provided, first, that any person admitted to be interested may receive such payment under protest as to the sufficiency of the amount:


Provided, secondly, that no person who has received the amount other-wise than under protest shall be entitled to make any application under section 8 :


Provided, thirdly, that nothing herein contained shall affect the liability of any person, who may receive the whole or any part of any compensation awarded under this Act, to pay the game to the person lawfully entitled there-to.


(3) Notwithstanding anything in this section, the Collector may, with the sanction of the 1[Central Government] instead of awarding a money-compensation in respect of any land, make any arrangement with a person having a limited interest in such land, either by the grant of other lands in exchange, or by the remission of land-revenue on the same or on other lands held under the same title, or in such other way as may be equitable having regard to the interests of the parties concerned.


(4) Nothing in sub-section (3) shall be construed to interfere with or limit the power of the Collector to enter into any arrangement with any per-son interested in the land and competent to contract in respect thereof.




1. Substituted for the words “Local Government” by A. 0., 1937 (1-4-1937).



Previous | Next




Indian Laws – Bare Acts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2021 Laws and Bare Acts of India at

Free Legal Help, Just WhatsApp Away

MyNation HELP line

We are Not Lawyers, but No Lawyer will give you Advice like We do

Please read Group Rules – CLICK HERE, If You agree then Please Register CLICK HERE and after registration  JOIN WELCOME GROUP HERE

We handle Women Centric biased laws like False Section 498A IPC, Domestic Violence(DV ACT), Divorce, Maintenance, Alimony, Child Custody, HMA 24, 125 CrPc, 307, 312, 313, 323, 354, 376, 377, 406, 420, 497, 506, 509; TEP, RTI and many more…

MyNation FoundationMyNation FoundationMyNation Foundation