20. Appointment of Commissioners..—
(1) The State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint any person to be a Commissioner for Workmen’s Compensation for such 1[***] area as may be specified in the notification.
2[(2) Where more than one Commissioner has been appointed for any 1[***] area, the State Government may, by general or special order, regulate the distribution of business between them.]
3[(3)] Any Commissioner may, for the purpose of deciding any matter referred to him for decision under this Act, choose one or more persons possessing special knowledge of any matter relevant to the matter under inquiry to assist him in holding the inquiry.
3[(4)] Every Commissioner shall be deemed to be a public servant within the meaning of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).
1. The word “local”omitted by Act 64 of 1962, sec. 7 (w.e.f. 1-2-1963).
2. Ins. by Act 15 of 1933, sec. 13.
3. Sub-sections (2) and (3) re-numbered as sub-sections (3) and (4) by Act 15 of 1933, sec. 13.