21. Venue of proceedings and transfer—
21. Venue of proceedings and transfer.— 1[(1) Where any matter under this Act is to be done by or before a Commissioner, the same shall, subject to the provisions of this Act and to any rules made hereunder, be done by or before the Commissioner for the area in which—
(a) the accident took place which resulted in the injury; or
(b) the workman or in case of his death, the dependant claiming the compensation ordinarily resides; or
(c) the employer has his registered office:
Provided that no matter shall be processed before or by a Commissioner, other than the Commissioner having jurisdiction over the area in which the accident took place, without his giving notice in the manner prescribed by the Central Government to the Commissioner having jurisdiction over the area and the State Government concerned:
Provided further that, where the workman, being the master of a ship or a seaman or the captain or a member of the crew of an aircraft or a workman in a motor vehicle or a company, meets with the accident outside India any such matter may be done by or before a Commissioner for the area in which the owner or agent of the ship, aircraft or motor vehicle resides or carries on business or the registered office of the company is situate, as the case may be.
(1A) If a Commissioner, other than the Commissioner with whom any money has been deposited under section 8, proceeds with a matter under this Act, the former may for the proper disposal of the matter call for transfer of any records or moneys remaining with the latter and on receipt of such a request, he shall comply with the same.]
(2) If a Commissioner is satisfied 2[that any matter arising out of any proceedings pending before him] can be more conveniently dealt with by any other Commissioner, whether in the same State or not, he may, subject to rules made under this Act, order such matter to be transferred to such other Commissioner either for report or for disposal, and, if he does so, shall forthwith transmit to such other Commissioner all documents relevant for the decision of such matter and, where the matter is transferred for disposal, shall also transmit in the prescribed manner any money remaining in his hands or invested by him for the benefit of any party to the proceedings:
3[Provided that the Commissioner shall not, where any party to the proceedings has appeared before him, make any order of transfer relating to the distribution among dependants of a lump sum without giving such party an opportunity of being heard:]
(3) The Commissioner to whom any matter is so transferred shall, subject to rules made under this Act, inquire thereinto and, if the matter was transferred for report, return his report thereon or, if the matter was transferred for disposal, continue the proceedings as if they had originally commenced before him.
(4) On receipt of a report from a Commissioner to whom any matter has been transferred for report under sub-section (2), the Commissioner by whom it was referred shall decide the matter referred in conformity with such report.
5[(5) The State Government may transfer any matter from any Commissioner appointed by it to any other Commissioner appointed by it.]
1. Subs. by Act 30 of 1995, sec. 10, for sub-section (1) (w.e.f. 1-10-1996), vide S.O. 677(E), dated 25th September, 1996.
2. Subs. by Act 9 of 1938, sec. 9, for certain words.
3. Ins. by Act 9 of 1938, sec. 9.
4. Second proviso omitted by Act 30 of 1995, sec. 10 (w.e.f. 1-10-1996), vide S.O. 677(E), dated 25th September, 1996.
5. Ins. by Act 15 of 1933, sec. 14.