Constitution of India
243ZE. Committee for Metropolitan planning.
*[**243ZE. Committee for Metropolitan planning.
(1) There shall be constituted in every Metropolitan area a Metropolitan Planning Committee to prepare a draft development plan for the Metropolitan area as a whole.
(2) The Legislature of a State may, by law, make provision with respect to-
(a) The composition of the Metropolitan Planning Committees;
(b) The manner in which the seats in such Committees shall be filled:
Provided that not less than two-thirds of the members of such Committee shall be elected by, and from amongst, the elected members of the Municipalities and Chairpersons of the Panchayats in the Metropolitan area in proportion to the ratio between the population of the Municipalities and of the Panchayats in that area;
(c) The representation in such Committees of the Government of India and the Government of the State and of such organisations and institutions as may be deemed necessary for carrying out the functions assigned to such Committees;
(d) The functions relating to planning and coordination for the Metropolitan area, which may be assigned to such Committees;
(e) The manner in which the Chairpersons of such Committees shall be chosen.
(3) Every Metropolitan Planning Committee shall, in preparing the draft development plan, –
(a) Have regard to-
(i) The plans prepared by the Municipalities and the Panchayats in the Metropolitan area;
(ii) Matters of common interest between the Municipalities and the Panchayats, including coordinated spatial planning of the area, sharing of water and other physical and natural resources, the integrated development of infrastructure and environmental conservation;
(iii) The overall objectives and priorities set by the Government of India and the Government of the State;
(iv) The extent and nature of investments likely to be made in the Metropolitan area by agencies of the Government of India and of the Government of the State and other available resources whether financial or otherwise;
(b) Consult such institutions and organisations as the Governor may, by order, specify.
(4) The Chairperson of every Metropolitan Planning Committee shall forward the development plan, as recommended by such Committee, to the Government of the State.
* Ins. by the Constitution (Seventy-fourth Amendment) Act, 1992, sec. 2 (w.e.f. 1-6-1993).
** The provisions of article 243ZE shall not apply to the National Capital Territory of Delhi, vide S.O. 1125(E), dated 12-11-2001.