Constitution of India
243ZD. Committee for district planning.
1[243ZD. Committee for district planning.
(1) There shall be constituted in every State at the district level a District Planning Committee to consolidate the plans prepared by the Panchayats and the Municipalities in the district and to prepare a draft development plan for the district as a whole.
(2) The Legislature of a State may, by law, make provision with respect to-
(a) The composition of the District Planning Committees;
(b) The manner in which the seats in such Committees shall be filled:
Provided that not less than four-fifths of the total number of members of such Committee shall be elected by, and from amongst, the elected members of the Panchayat at the district level and of the Municipalities in the district in proportion to the ratio between the population of the rural areas and of the urban areas in the district;
(c) The functions relating to district planning, which may be assigned to such Committees;
(d) The manner in which the Chairpersons of such Committees shall be chosen.
(3) Every District Planning Committee shall, in preparing the draft development plan, –
(a) Have regard to-
(i) Matters of common interest between the Panchayats and the Municipalities including spatial planning, sharing of water and other physical and natural resources, the integrated development of infrastructure and environmental conservation;
(ii) The extent and type of available resources whether financial or otherwise;
(b) Consult such institutions and organisations as the Governor may, by order, specify.
(4) The Chairperson of every District Planning Committee shall forward the development plan, as recommended by such Committee, to the Government of the State.
1. The provisions of article 243ZD shall not apply to the National Capital Territory of Delhi, vide S.O. 1125(E), dated 12-11-2001.