Civil Procedure Code 1908
1. Short title, commencment and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908.
(2) It shall come into force on the first day of January, 1909.
1[(3) It extends to the whole of India except.-
(a) the State of Jammu and Kashmir;
(b) the State of Nagaland and the tribal areas.
Provided that the State Government concerned may, by notification in the Official Gazette, extend the provisions of this Code or any of them to the whole or part of the State of Nagaland or such tribal areas, as the case may be, with such supplemental, incedental or consequential modifications as may be specified in the notification.
Explanation.- In this clause, “tribal areas” means the territories which immediately before the 21st day of January, 1972, were included in the tribal areas of Assam as referred to in paragraph 20 of the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution.]
(4) In relation to the Amindivi Islands, and the East Godavari, West Godavari and Visakhapatnam Agencies in the State of Andhra Pradesh and the Union territory of Lakshadweep, the application of this Code shall be without prejudice to the application of any rule or regulation for the time being in force in such Islands, Agencies or such Union territory, as the case may be, relating to the application of this Code.
1. Subs. by Act 104 of 1976, sec. 2, for sub-section (3) (w.e.f. 1-2-1977).