MyNation KnowledgeBase

Landmark Judgments and Articles on Law

Register to Download

Complain to BAR Council Against a Lawyer

BAR Council Address :

The  Secretary,
Bar Council of India,
21, Rouse Avenue, Institutional Area,
New Delhi – 110002
Phones: 23231647, 23231648 (Off), 22918636 (Res)
Fax: 91-011-23231767

Please follow the following steps.

1. File your complaint with Bar Council (proforma below).
2. Follow up letters every week.
3. File a GD with the local P.S. where the crime occurred.
4. Initiate a criminal case against him, with assault, conspiracy with your In-Laws, et al.
5. NCR is not enough.
6 Ask for compensation and money back that you paid to your lawyer over the time/years.
7. Defend yourself against countercharges from your assailant. In order to win the case, he may need to paint you in a negative or harmful light. Ready yourself for that, both in terms of your case and in terms of the emotional impact it may have on you.
8. Consult the Rules of Civil Procedure for your area. They will explain the steps for filing suit and the forms you must fill out in order to proceed.

Bar Council of India Useful Links :

1. Rules on standards of professional

2. CONDUCT OF ADVOCATES (including Punishment of advocates for misconduct)

3. DISCIPLINARY PROCEEDINGS, COMPLAINTS, REVISIONS, REVIEWS etc (Complaints against Advocates and Procedure to be followed by Disciplinary Committees of the State Bar Council and the Bar Council of India)



TO: [fill in appropriate governing body]
[fill in appropriate address]
City, State, ZIP

RE: Ethics Violations By [name of attorney]

See also  Dowry harassment - delay in filing Complaint consequences

I hereby lodge an official complaint against [name of attorney] who is licensed in the State of [name of State], and is therefore subject to the [name of State] Office of Disciplinary Counsel.

Nature of the complaint:

[name of attorney] engaged in unethical behavior as detailed below:

[Detail the nature of the complaint. Be succinct and factual, do not enagage in any sarcasm or remarks of a personal nature. Offer to provide documentation or other proof upon request. You should also cite or paste in a copy of the specific guidelines that have been violated, or you can include it below.]

Date of Violation:___________________
Date Violation Discovered if different from above:________________

Other Relevant Information:

[Detail any other relevant information or event(s) here. This is a good place to cite or paste in a copy of the specific guidelines that have been violated, or you can include it above. Delete this section if your complaint is fully explained in the section above.]

I am sure the [name of governing body] will find this issue worthy of investigation, and I look forward to hearing from you as to the disposition of this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require additional information or have any questions.

Yours Truly,

[Your Name]
[Phone number]

27 thoughts on “Complain to BAR Council Against a Lawyer

  1. I want to file complaint against my lawyer for not being serious in our case and harassment done by him. He has taken 5000Rs. more than he was appointed for and not giving reciepts of payments done by us.

  2. Obe R Vebkatarman advocatge and k m singh advocate of delhi bar and supreme court advocates practicing in new delhi entered into a criiminal conspiracy to extract money from thier client in an illegal manner and when caught by cbi they gave false statements the money is meant for court staff I am a victim of their conspiracy and I would like to complaint againast them pl suggest CBI recordings and FIR clearly indicates their names FIR shows one advocate k m singh name and recordings of conversation with the complainant is made by cbi against r venkataraman

  3. My name is Shan Ahmad
    Mr. Akshay Katiyar who is an advocate in Lucknow High Court has been trying to grab my home for 2 months. He with others intrude my home in night and beat us and misbehave with my wife and daughter. When i went to police station they refused to take any action against advocates.
    Then i went to Lucknow High Court and suited 156/3- bot when i went on date- Mr. Akshay Katiyar beat me and my wife in court and did not let us go to the Judge Room.
    Nobody listen us.
    Kindly sugges what to do?


    // Please post it here to get reply

  4. Am a NRI. am having my own house in coimbatore. there I gave power to my father for rentals. my father collects rent & using for his daily needs, He’s 77 years & mother also. 6 month before a lawyer taken the partioned room + 2 rooms as tenant. the front room is leaking while raining. my father told him verbally the roof are not good in 6 months we planned to demolish & start building in the month of february so I can give you only for 6 months. the lawyer also agreed & take possesion, but after 6 months on verbal intimation he’s not vacating my father requested him 2,3 times. but he complained in police station against my parents. he kepts very old news papers in the partioned room & creating hazard to the other tenants. 10 days before I also visited & requested him,but he refused & also done false complaint against me in police station.police enquired surrounding people& they closed complaint that the lawyer’s complaint is not true. Now he sent injection order legally what’s the solution?for this please help me. May I complaint in BAR council. also required BAR council address & contact phone number os coimbatore.because my parents are aged & uneducated, they’re not able to proceed for some activities. please guide me.

  5. Dear BAR council team,
    I am a NRI. am having a house in tamilnadu state. I gave power of attorney to my father to collect rent.
    I am having only one house in India. It’s a old father rented a portion to a lawyer for six months. because it’s required for me & need to repair. only verbal agreemnet. but after six months the tenant is not vacating & also not paying the rent for past 6months. He tried to pay for one month by sending money order. but my father didn’t accepted that. & requested him to vacate the house. but the tenant filed a false case against my father the police people are checked with neighbouring & prooved that the the case is false. the tenant filed a Injunction request in the court. but the judge refused to issue. In this I also went in the month of April & requested to vacate & in need for my own use. The tenant filed a case against me also. but police understood that the tenant is filing false case & noticed tenant the cases are false case.
    In this situation I cannot travel for running the case. how can I vacate the tenant. daily the tenant abusing my parents verbally. they’re aged & helpless. the rent is Rs. 2500 per month & advance money paid is Rs.5000/- the tenant also not paying for utilities like water & electricity.
    Please help me.

  6. an Advoczte who has with drawn his vakalat in the court and inform by telegram to the opposite advocte and once again can he filed vakalat for the same case.
    Can he do it or is it a professional misconduct.

  7. can a advocate file vakalat and appear has witness with GPA of his wife in his wife’s case against a tenant for eviction

  8. Complaint against an advocate whose cheques have bounced. I have filed a case under sec 138 of Negotiable Instruments Act. He is refusing to take the notice and summons sent by the court. I want to bring it to the notice of the Bar Council of India about the conduct of such practicing advocates in our society. thanks

  9. Mr. Dev dutt Yadav Registered member of your Delhi Bar Association details are – DELHI BAR COUNCIL M.NO.D/811/2005, SUMPREME COURT BAR ASSOCIATIONOF INDIA, M.NO- ICNO.SCBA:2533/D/264. Accused in FIR No.- 177/10 PS- EOW , IPC section 420/120B/406 . Jai Hind

  10. I bhuvnesh kumar, married with monika rai in 21st nov 2007, monbika is ragisterd in delhi bar council and practicing with some senior lawer in delhi,
    in 2009 she charged me 498a, domestic violence act and 125 maintence case,and she taken advatage of her proffation,
    i dont understand what i can do?

  11. we are staying on govt land,there r slum lord who r collicting rents and collecting illegal rent is crime but the slumm lords with help of lawyer sends notice under rent act we have answerd him but the lawyer again sends notice within month to torture mentally what we can do plz help us

  12. they give any receipt for the rent ?
    check your area muncipality who is the tax collector, let him know.
    you can file RTI to get all these details too

  13. My mother had filed a Rev. Pet. No.31 of 2010 before the Bar Council of India. I would like to know the status of the case and when it will be listed.

  14. My wife is registered lawyer in Delhi high court and member of bar council of Delhi, and she filled case against me and my parent’s u/s 498a, 506 504 or 125 maintained in 2009, im working with private firm no fix income I have,
    My question is what she is eligible for maintance and how much
    In mediation court we would decided we live together and start new life and forget whatever done from my side and her side, and according to mediation she didn’t withdraw any case, and continue every case
    Right away,
    she is registered lawyer and she den-aye mediation high court Allahabad decision , I just want to know make any case or complaint against herself in bar council & high court.
    bhuvnesh kumar

  15. Need to file an urgent complaint against an advocate who attempted a murder. Name – VIRENDRA RAWAT BAR COUNCIL NO. D/2401/1999 practicing in delhi high court.
    Chamber address – 180, Lawyers Chamber Block-B,
    Delhi High Court, New Delhi-110503

    India or world .

    Requested to confiscate his license and cancel all his practice for LIFE !!
    He has attempted to murder a senior citizen so please tell me what strict actions can you take against him on urgent basis .

    He is threat to society and should be BANNED FOR LIFE to practice anywhere in

  16. Is this the only way for complaining against the lawyer in bar council of Delhi as said above?
    If complain is not in above prescribed format then is it registered or rejected?
    After how much time the complain is transferred from state bar council to bar council of India for further proceedings?

    with utmost regards

  17. SIR ,aapke high court (LUCKNOW)kE ek advcate mujhe aaye din person karta aur mere chitra par lacchna lagta hai ..jiske sath uske 2-3 vakil bhi sayog karte hai kiya mjhe es babat aapk sayog mil sakta ..woh riste mera brother in law lagta hai .. woh mujhe aur Mere husband ko apne advocate hone dhamki deta hai aur khahta ki koi mera kuch nahi bigd sakta. mein jisko chaho jail ki hawa khila sakta hu .. es baare mai aap mere area puch sakte hai pl. mujhe uske kahar nijat dilye.. MEIN AAP SE ES SISLE MAI VISTRA SE BATNA CHATI PAR YE net PAR SAMBHAV NAHI HAI PL. MERI HELP KARE ) NAHI MERA JIVAN NARK HO JAYE GA .. MEIN SAMJ KE ANDER NIKLNE KE KABIL NAHI RAHUGI…

  18. Hi Sir,

    I need to complain against the Lawyer K.Sam in Madurai High Court for getting huge amount of fees to proceed the case to join with my husband R.Udaya. Moreover he had sexually harassed me while consulting him for writing petitions.
    His is a widower. His daughter M.Sam studying in Thiagarajar college of engineering arrogantly plucked all the evidences related to my case. To whom we need to file petition against this lawyer and his daughter.

  19. An advocate along with his associates, threatened to kill me, headed on my caste, assaulted me, just outside to the judge chamber. I rushed to the judge and plead for help, and due to the intervention of judge I was rescued by the police, but while in police protection they have assaulted me to kill. Any how I finally lodged an FIR against them, but they also filed a counter FIR against me which is completely false and baseless with conspiracy against me.

  20. Dear Sir

    Please suggest and guide how to get these two scoundrels black listed and our money recovered from them?

    I will be ever obliged for this.

    Rekha Modi

    Sent from my iPhone

  21. Having an issue
    1) I have taken 1,30,000/- from a lady in 2013 through cheque, and given her in 2014 in cash in Part part.

    2) After that there was a clashes between her and my wife
    3) After that in 2021 she started sending notices through an advocate.
    4) Now on yesterday she has sent me legal notice through advocate in my college saying that his case pending in bhiwandi court have to suspend him untill case closes

    Pls give some suggestions on this regard.
    If you want I will send that copy also

  22. Do you have any proof that you have returned.
    Whatsapp msg or telephonic call record then you can prove that you have returned said amount.

    She cannt dictate college to suspend etc.
    get a Bail and contest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Not found ...? HOW TO WIN 498a, DV, DIVORCE; Search in Above link
MyNation Times Magzine

All Law documents and Judgment copies
Laws and Bare Acts of India
Important SC/HC Judgements on 498A IPC
Rules and Regulations of India.


CopyRight @ MyNation

Free Legal Help, Just WhatsApp Away

MyNation HELP line

We are Not Lawyers, but No Lawyer will give you Advice like We do

Please read Group Rules – CLICK HERE, If You agree then Please Register CLICK HERE and after registration  JOIN WELCOME GROUP HERE

We handle Women Centric biased laws like False Section 498A IPC, Domestic Violence(DV ACT), Divorce, Maintenance, Alimony, Child Custody, HMA 24, 125 CrPc, 307, 312, 313, 323, 354, 376, 377, 406, 420, 497, 506, 509; TEP, RTI and many more…

See also  Dowry harassment - delay in filing Complaint consequences
MyNation FoundationMyNation FoundationMyNation Foundation