2 cups basmati rice
1/2 cup moong dal
2-3 finely chopped green chillies
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 finely chopped medium size tomato
2 finely chopped medium size onions
5-6 curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asofoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
3-4 tbsp desi ghee
6 cups water
salt to taste
Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serves / Makes : 4
1. Soak moong dal and rice for 15 minutes.
2. Heat ghee in pressure cooker
3. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
4. Now add asofoetida and curry leaves and green chillies. Then add onions.
5. Saute onions till transluscent.
6. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.
7. Now add chopped tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes are mashed.
8. Add the powdered masalas.
9. When ghee starts leaving sides, add the soaked rice and moong dal and water. Add salt to taste and stir in half the chopped coriander.
10. Cover and pressure cook (3 whistles)
The consistency should be slightly liquidy. Garnish with remaining coriander. Serve hot with one tsp of ghee on top.Is a complete meal in itself