One of my colleague forgot his WD mybook 11 Hard disk password. When he asked i boldly said i can crack it. Or Format it. But when he gave me his HDD i found out that it’s not that easy.
I tried many ways.
Low Level formatting.
Linux LiveCD tools
As there was no data or important data friend gave, go ahead with Format.
You must first update the firmware on your hard drive. Your password can be reset but your data will be lost.
- Disconnect all other external drives from the computer except for the My Book or My Passport hard drive you want to update.
- Download the Firmware Updater for Windows. (mirror here) file name [ EssentialEliteFirmwareUpdaterv1.032_126.96.36.199.zip ]
- Unzip the file and double click to open the Firmware Updater.
- Click Continue to update the firmware.
- It will ask for Password [ For sure you will not enter ]
- So Click on left side button,
- It will take you to next screen where it says ERASE Disk.
- Click to Erase.
- Click Accept . The eraser will scan the drive; this may take a few minutes.
- Once eraser is finished, click Exit.
- Turn off the drive – For My Passport, disconnect the USB cable. For My Book disconnect both USB and power cables.
- Wait few seconds. Reconnect the USB/power cables.
And You have done it.