The Arms Act, 1959
3. Licence for acquisition and possession of firearms and ammunition —
[ Note: S. 3 renumbered as sub section (1) thereof by Act 25 of 1983, s. 3 (w.e.f. 22-6-1983) ] (1) No person shall acquire, have in his possession, or carry any firearm or ammunition unless he holds in this behalf a licence issued in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the rules made there under :
Provided that a person may, without himself holding a licence carry any firearms or ammunition in the presence, or under the written authority, of the holder of the licence for repair or for renewal of the licence or for use by such holder.
(2) [ Note: Ins. by s. 3., ibid., (w.e.f. 22-6-1983) ] Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), no person, other than a person referred to in sub-section (3), shall acquire, have in his possession to carry, at any time, more than three firearms:
Provided that a person who has in his possession more firearms than three at the commencement of the Arms (Amendment) Act, 1983, may retain with him any three of such firearms and shall deposit, within ninety days from such, commencement the remaining firearms with the officer in charge of the nearest police station or, subject to the conditions prescribed for the purposes of sub-section(1) of section 21, with a licensed dealer or, where such person is a member of the armed forces of the Union, in a unit armoury referred to in that sub-section.
(3) Nothing contained in sub-section (2) shall apply to any dealer in firearms or to any member of a rifle club or rifle association licensed or recognised by the Central Government using a point 22 bore rifle or an air rifle for target practice.
(4) The provisions of sub-section (2) to (6) (both inclusive) of section 21 shall apply in relation to any deposit of firearms under the proviso to sub-section(2) as they apply in relation to the deposit of any arms or ammunition under sub-section (1) of that section.]
The power & jurisdiction of the licensing authority to initiate ‘cancellation of licence’ proceedings, has been vested with the A.D.M. (Lakhan Singh v. Commissioner, Jhansi Div., Jhansi & Ors.; AIR 1984 All. 122 (123)]
1. Section 3 re-numbered as sub-section (1) thereof by Act 25 of 1983, sec. 3 (w.r.e.f. 22-6-1983).
2. Ins. by Act 25 of 1983, sec. 3 (w.r.e.f. 22-6-19830).
*. 22nd day of June, 1983.